Wednesday, July 19, 2017

One Day At A Time

There are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.  Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.  All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday.  We cannot undo a single act we performed.  We cannot erase a single word we said.  Yesterday is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is tomorrow with its possible adversities.  Tomorrow is beyond our immediate control.  Tomorrow's sun will rise, whether in splendor or behind a mask of clouds.  But it will rise.  Until it does we have no stake in tomorrow, for it, is yet unborn.

This leaves one day.  Today.

Any man can fight the battles of just one day.  It is when you and I add the burdens of two eternities - yesterday and tomorrow that we break down.

It is not necessarily the experience of today that disturbs one's peace of mind, it is often time the bitterness for something which happened yesterday and the dread of what tomorrow may bring.  Let us therefore live one day at a time.
~ Author Unknown ~

This is from a stash that I have saved over the years in our Home Journal and often times, I love going back and reading over these pages.

Oh, if only I would follow the words from this writing each and every day - so much sweeter my days would be.

Blessings for Today.

11 comments:

  1. Kathy in IllinoisJuly 19, 2017 at 9:13 AM

    Words of wisdom, Teri, but hard to follow. I had a wonderful past, but I can't help worrying about the future with the way this world is especially for my kids. We need to live each day and and make the most of it and trust God for the future. Another lovely post from a sweet lady!
    God bless, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wish I could follow this advice each day. It's hard not to worry about tomorrow but I'm getting better at at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. Love the words and their meaning. I need to follow the advice. I spend too much time worrying about everything. Love your picture you posted today as well. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, my sweet friend. These words are so true. I don't even know how many times I've read the portion of Matthew 6 that pertains to this. I hope you are your family are all doing well. Much love to you!!♥ ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These words are so true, and something I am learning! Thank you for this lovely post ♥ ~ Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah very true, very true. I know these words well and the sentiment is wise, I just wish I could abide by it. I try, try hard to stay in the moment and focus on today, but worry always seems to distract me. Thank you for the reminder, Teri. I always enjoy your posts, they are entertaining and enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I need to put this into practice! Thank you, Teri, for sharing it here with us. The picture at the end is lovely as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Important thought that would help immensely if we just practice it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Teri, these are wonderful words that should be remembered every day! I love this - so inspiring with your sweet photo. Wishing you a wonderful now :) xx K

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a saying I once heard - "worry doesn't rob tomorrow of its sorrow, it robs today of its joy". So true, but so difficult to live by. I love coming to visit, Teri, I always leave feeling more serene.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I love this post. This is something that I will come back and read again and again. I love the picture you shared as well. Hugs to you. Juli

    ReplyDelete

I love each thought shared here. I reply by email. Please be sure that you are not a NO REPLY blogger.