Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Front Porch Sittin'

We love sitting on our front porch, whether it is early in the morning to begin our day with a cup of coffee, in the afternoon with a glass of iced tea or in the evening as our day comes to an end with a cup of tea.

Our little plot of land sits on a corner in our little town.  It is quiet on our front porch.  It is a lovely place to relax with my hubby.  There is nothing better than front porch sittin' ... slowing down makes for a peaceful and quiet time.

I grew up in our small town on this quiet street.  It was a small town, so we knew everyone.  We rode our bikes, we played at each other's homes.  All of the parents looked out for all of the kids in the neighborhood.  We walked to the stores on our small town main street.  When our neighbors went out of town, we would care for their homes and their pets.  We either walked to school or the parents would take turns taking us to school.  In the evening our moms would gather on the front porch and chat as we all played hide and seek, hopscotch, played jacks, marbles or jumped rope.  Our dads had big gardens and they would be working in those in the early morning before they would go to work and in the evening after the evening meal and the weather had cooled a bit.  Summer nights of my childhood and teen years often included front porch sitting time.  Sitting on the front porch of our family home while I was growing up brings back such sweet memories for me.  Our homes were not big.  They were very modest, but homey.

When my hubby and I were dating, we spent a lot of time on my front porch ... so many sweet memories.

There were the times that I would go to the little town south of us to spend time with my gramma.  I loved spending time with her on her front porch with her old fashioned wooden porch swing with flowers growing all around.  I have so many fond memories of those years gone by.

♥ This porch and porch swing are much like what I remember from my gramma's home.  Her front porch was surrounded by pretty flowers though. ♥

In these days of rushing here and there, so busy, I feel like front porch sitting is the perfect way to slow down and relax.  Not only is it a good way to slow down and relax, it is a good way to settle in for the evening, enjoy a sunset, listen to thunder in the distance, a bit of lightning in the sky, a gentle rain and night sounds to relax us before snuggling in for the night.

We find that sitting out on our front porch gives us an opportunity to be close to our family and our friends. 

We live next door to where I grew up, so I did not go far away from home.  Our son lived here from the day he was born until he married and now they have their own home a few blocks from us.  They have been married 19 years and still live in their first home.  We are all homebodies.  Our son grew up next door to his grandparents (my parents) and his other grandparents (my hubby's parents) lived just a couple of blocks up the street from us.  His uncles, aunts and cousins all lived close by as he was growing up.  Even though the years have gone by and changes have been made in our neighborhood, there are homes that belonged to older generations that the younger generations have moved into and now are raising their little ones.  We have had neighbors come and go throughout the years and we have always tried to be there for one another.

Most of the homes in our neighborhood are older homes and most of them have front porches.

These are just a few things that come to mind as to why front porch sittin' time is so important to me.

* comfy place to enjoy a cup of coffee, a cup of tea, a glass of iced tea or a glass of homemade lemonade.

* good place to sit and chat with my hubby

* enjoy peace and quiet

* nice when neighbors stop by to chat

* to pray

* perfect place to have heart to heart talks with our son during his growing up years

* reduces stress and tension

* lifts spirits and calms minds

* fun to watch the birds

* nice to hear the chiming of the wind chimes when there is a gentle breeze

* having pretty flowers on and around our front porch to enjoy

* to read

* if it is hot ... we use a fan

* if it is dark ... we use soft candle lite

* if it is cold ... we use a fleece throw to snuggle under


We love our front porch sittin' time.

I hope that you will enjoy a simple evening from the comfort of a front porch.  There is just nothing like it.

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have lived a wonderful life Teri. You have many great memories from the past and have much to look forward to with your front porch. I enjoy how you decorate for the seasons; and most important is you realize that happiness and contentment comes from simple things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful post, my friend, and oh so true :) I, too, am a homebody so this post brought a smile to my face. Many thanks for sharing.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri .... I just love this post. I also have a porch and I sit on the porch swing as often as I can. In the country where I was born, porches are a necessity so I'm blessed to have one here where I live now :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've painted a picture of an ideal I can only wish for. You are living a very blessed life my dear.
    Be blessed!
    ஐღ Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage ღஐ
    ...doing what I can with what I've got
    where I am on a short shoestring budget!
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm due for a good, old, summer "porch sittin".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post, Teri. I remember days sitting on my grandmother's front porch, so many lovely memories. I did not have a front porch growing up. We had a stoop...but we had a very large back porch and I loved being out there alone or with friends. It was not enclosed but it sounds very similar. We're also a homebody type of family and while we all live a little further than a few blocks away from our childhood home, we are relatively close by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your front porch looks so cozy! I think simple pleasure like front porch sitting, are where the true riches in this world lie. Thank you for sharing the photos of your front porch. Hugs. Juli

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up in a small town too just like the one you talked about. Those memories do warm the heart. Everything was more simple back then. That's how people would "entertain" guests back then. Chit chatting, sipping on lemonade, homemade ice cream, what's not to love about that?
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such memories! Many of the houses we lived in growing up had front porches. I wish we had a front porch but we do get watch bunnies hop by in our yard both fron and back.
    Enjoy your memories dear Teri.😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so enjoyed reading about your front porch sittin' and the memories you have of doing so when you were young. It sounds like the town you lived/live in is such a peaceful place to raise a family. I grew up in a small community as well. I have fond memories of both front and back porch sittin. Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another beautiful post, Teri. I don't have a porch, never did in any of the places I've lived in. It sounds like a wonderful place to make memories.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely loved your post about your front porch and your childhood memories! We have a porch swing just like the one in your picture. When we had our porch built, I knew I wanted a hanging swing on it. Nothing like sitting out on the front porch with family and friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet post, Teri. You're right that front porch sitting makes us slow down. I don't sit out on our front porch much because of the heat and the mosquitoes. Any suggestions for what to do about the mosquitoes? My mother had a screened-in porch with a swing. It was wonderful to sit in the swing with her and talk in the evening. Lots of problems were resolved in that swing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete