Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Clothesline

A clothesline was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by,
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped by
To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the "fancy" sheets
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the "company tablecloths"
With intricate designs.

The line announced a baby's birth
From folks who lived inside,
As brand new infant clothes were hung;
So carefully with pride.

The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed
You'd know how much they'd grown.

It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.

It also said, "gone on vacation now"
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "we're back" when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare.

New folks in town were scorned upon
If wash was dingy and grey,
As neighbors carefully raised their brow,
And looked the other way.

But clotheslines now are of the past,
For dryers make work much less,
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybodys guess.

I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line.
~ Author Unknown ~

 ♥
 ♥
 ♥
 ♥

I love using our clothesline.  I also use an inside Amish wooden drying rack when the weather is so that I cannot hang our laundry outside on the clothesline.

I am thankful for my washer and dryer.  I enjoy doing laundry whether I use my dryer, my outside clothesline or my inside Amish wooden drying rack.

I love fresh from the clothesline laundry.

It is wonderful to snuggle under fresh from the clothesline bedding for a good nights sleep.

14 comments:

  1. That is a cute poem! I remember those days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some clothes drying on my Amish Clothes Rack. I love that I can open it up when needed and close it down when not in use. Today was ironing day for me. I love to iron our bed sheets and tablecloths as well as all our clothes. Cute poem! I am glad you are not having any more computer problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Teri...
    My mom had a clothesline.
    You brought back some very happy memories. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen that poem before and it always makes me smile. I remember the clothesline days. My mom would hand me a basket and I would go hang up or take down. I have fond memories of it, although I am super happy to use my dryer now! Thanks for the memories, Teri!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teri, I love the poem. I have sweet memories of assisting mother hang laundry on the line. Nothing feels/smells better than crawling into bed with freshly laundered sheets. Wishing you a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, my sweet friend!
    Yes, there is no better smell than laundry fresh from the line. Nothing can match that scent!
    I enjoy hanging out the laundry when the weather permits...it's relaxing to me.
    I hope you are doing well! :-)
    Much love,
    ~Melanie♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have a clothesline yet, but our neighbor lets us use hers. I love how sheets and linens smell when they've dried on a clothesline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a clothesline for 20 years until we moved here in 1999. I really miss it. Where we live now there really isn't a favorable spot to put a line. Our road is dusty...even though there is pavement. So I use my washer and dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They used to be in everybody's backyard but now you don't ever see them anymore. Dryers have changed the world forever. I remember my mom hanging clothes out on the line until dad bought her a dryer and that was the end of that. :)
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy in IllinoisApril 7, 2017 at 7:41 AM

    I love this poem, Teri! You know I love my clothesline. I love being out in the yard early with the sun shining and a gentle breeze blowing as I hang up each article of clothing. Then when they are done the smell is so fresh! My avocado green dryer was bought in early 1976 and I still have it because it doesn't get used! Have a lovely spring day.
    God bless, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to have a clothesline. I remember as a child how my mom would hang our sheets on the line, and oh the fresh clean smell. It was like nothing else. Love this post! Hugs. Juli

    ReplyDelete
  12. My grandma told me that it was a SHAME in her town if a lady didn't have her first load of laundry hanging on the line by nine in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never looked at a clothesline as a news forecast.
    How cute is that poem ?!!
    ENJOYED!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute post, Teri. I haven't had a clothesline for along time. I do like the smell on bed linens after they dried on the line. xo

    ReplyDelete

I love each thought shared here. I reply by email. Please be sure that you are not a NO REPLY blogger.