Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Simple Living


I am listing ten ways I find that help us to live a simple, quiet, gentle life.

I find by following my list below, I keep my daily routine simple.  I feel organized.  It makes for quiet and gentle living.

1.  Commit to time with our Bible.  We spend our early morning reading our Bible and our Daily Devotional.  It is such a good way to begin our day.
2.  A plan to help us save money on things that we buy.  It is such a good feeling to plan for what we have on our shopping list and to keep within our budget, buying only those things that we truly need.
3.  Buy less stuff.  Plan to make do with what we have and only buy what is necessary.
4.  Get rid of stuff that is cluttering our home.  Having space in our home after decluttering, gives such a peaceful feeling.

5.  Keep a journal.  By writing down the thoughts that are on my mind, it helps to put those thoughts in perspective.  It is an easier way to sort through those thoughts and to deal with those things that I need to tend to.

6.  Plan our meals for the week.  I spend time on Sunday afternoons, when all is quiet, to plan our meals and make out our shopping list for the week.  It is so nice to have a plan written down and to have a well-stocked pantry, cupboard, refrigerator and freezer when I begin to prepare our meals each day.

7.  Plan time to disconnect.  I love time without noise ... the television, the computer and the phone.  I cherish my quiet time to read, relax or to spend time with family and friends in a peaceful setting.

8.  Clean as I go.  This works so well for me in every part of keeping up our home and our little plot of land.

9.  Say no.  I choose only what is important to my family and myself and say no to the rest.

10.  Cherish each moment.  We keep our calendar uncluttered.  We schedule light so as not to rush from one thing to the next.  It makes for a pleasant day.

The list above works well for us.  We are retired, have had an empty nest for quite a few years now and try to keep our commitments to a minimum.  Our calendar is filled mostly with plans for the two of us, our family, our friends and our church.

There are those times when our schedule seems to be too much.  That is when we sit down, take a deep breath, make a few changes and get back to where we want to be.

To live content with small means, to seek elegance rather than luxury and refinement rather than fashion, to be worthy and wealthy, not rich, to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly, to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart, to hear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never - in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common.  This is to be my symphony.  
by William Henry Channing

7 comments:

  1. Hello Teri,
    Thank you so much for sharing your list of 10 things to help in leading a quiet and simple life. As I read down over them I took note of a couple of things that I have done in the past but have allowed myself to be pulled away. I want to get back to them because our home did run much more smoothly when I did them. I am currently in the process of de-cluttering. I've gotten away from keeping a journal, doing a meal plan and creating a shopping list from the meal plan, and cleaning as I go. Thank you for the reminder! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Teri, such a nice post you have shared with us today. As I packed up from Christmas I found myself wanting to donate things to Goodwill. I just did not feel the need to have as much as I have had in the past. It is what you feel in your heart that counts the most and the memories of times with family. Wishing you many blessings in your Homespun Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teri. I'm glad you shared your list, for it alerted me to #7. Something I need to work on. Thanks. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Teri, such words of wisdom! You have a wealth of common sense information in this post. You keep your home and life sweet, simple and organized just like you!
    God bless, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a sweet spirit and a heart to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Teri,
    This blog entry is so dear to my heart. I love the way you live a beautiful simple life. Thank you so much for sharing this. Hugs. Juli

    ReplyDelete
  7. A simple life simplified! I love your ten points, each one is of great importance to leading a quiet, peaceful and simple life. Thank you for sharing these, and I do love that quote at the end too! I think that quote would be so nice done up in cross stitch and hanging in a place where you could read it often. Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete